- Price: Low Season (November - April) 650 Euro
- Price: High Season (May - October) 745 Euro
- Experience Required: 5 Days Sea Time, 100 Nm & 4 Night Hours
- Minimum Age 16
- Assumes Navigation to Day Skipper Shorebased Level & Basic Sailing Experience
- Covers Basic Pilotage, Boat Handling and Watch Organisation
- Gives You the Ability to Skipper a Small Yacht in Familiar Water by Day
- Minimum 5 Days Duration
- RYA Day Skipper (practical & theory) required
- 3:1 Maximum Student - Instructor Ratio
- A 5-day course in tidal waters
- The perfect course to extend your experience and knowledge
- Learn as a family!
Maximum 3 students per instructor, course will be delivered in English. Start / finish in Ayamonte unless otherwise specified.
The RYA Day Skipper practical course consists of a single 5 day residential sailing course. You will learn about:
- Preparation for sea and deck work
- Navigation, pilotage, meteorology
- Rules of the road
- Maintenance and repair work, engines, victualling
- Emergency situations
- Yacht handling under power, yacht handling under sail
- Passage making, night cruising
- To provide an introduction to Sailing & Seamanship and to give Basic Sailing Experience
Ability after the course
- Skipper a small Yacht in familiar water by day
- You will be able to apply for an ICC which is often required for chartering in the Mediterranean
- Sufficiently experienced to charter a boat
After completing the RYA Day Skipper course, you can prepare yourself for the Coastal Skipper course. You will need some practical experience:
- Complete at least 15 days sea time
- Cover at least 300 Nm
- Complete at least 8 Night Hours.
You will also need to complete the Coastal Skipper Theory element and exam. This can be completed online with our partners Navathome, a recognised training centre specialising in online training. Courses are fully comprehensive making sure you are ready for the examination. The course and examination is 100% online.
The RYA Day Skipper qualification provides you with the necessary skills to Skipper a yacht in familiar waters by day, testing your basic navigation, pilotage and sailing skills whilst taking charge of the yacht and crew. Perfect for anyone looking to charter a yacht or aspiring to purchase their own boat in the near future.
The Day Skipper training week is a 5 day residential sailing course. Whilst learning to sail at our sailing school in Spain you will gain a greater understanding of navigation, buoyage, colregs (IRPCS) and passage planning. To achieve this, your sailing theory must already be at Day Skipper level and remember – good Skippers lead by example and to earn the respect of your crew you will need to have basic skills in sail handling, trimming, wind awareness and the ability to tack and gybe efficiently. It is these skills that are taught in the RYA Start Yachting and Competent Crew courses providing secure foundations to your sailing career.